Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ? for Matt P

  1. #1
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Matt,
    where did you find the 4 pin din type plug for your 12v battery adapter for your scoopic..I've looked everywhere for one..the closest I found was a mic plug for a two-way radio...my only good battery just quit on me..and it will take 2 weeks and $75.00 to have it re-celled....help!..I need my camera for this weekend
    Thanks

    Neil


    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I didn't.
    My home-made battery setup is not an external rig, it goes into the internal battery chamber (fits perfectly, I might ad!).
    O.K., I'll describe it the best I can.
    Here's what you need at Radio Shack:
    One plastic AA battery compartment that holds 8 AA's, & one plastic compartment that holds 2 AA's.
    2 power leads, that connect to 9 volt batteries. (This is the type of connectors that the plastic AA holders have coming out of them).10 NiHD batteries.
    (I got one of their car-battery plug chargers, because it came with 4 AA NiHd's in it!)
    One soldering iron, & some solder.


    Glue the two AA holders together, side by side with a good strong glue. (You can tell how they should go, by the shape of the battery compartment).
    OK, the AAs all have to be in series, so look at how the two battery compartments are wired internally to see how it should work.
    Basically, the negative from one of them, goes into the positive from the other.
    You can do this by soldering the positive from one of the 9vt battery plugs to the positive connector of the Scoopic.
    Solder the negavive lead from the other 9vt plug to the negative connector of the Scoopic.
    Then solder the positive from that 9vt plug's wire, to the negavive of the other 9vt plug's wire.
    Sounds confusing, but it's really simple once you get the parts.
    Email me for my phone number, get all the parts, and if you get confused, I'll walk you through it.
    I'm no electronics genius (ask Roger!), so this is not rocket science, it's really easy, and it works!
    The only bad thing, is you end up with the battery connectors permanently soldered to the + & - leads inside the Scoopic, which may be a problem if you're using regular Scoopic batteries later, but I don't know, because I don't have any!
    (It's probably not a problem).


    Matt Pacini



    ------------------

  3. #3
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks Matt,
    I'll fire it up today...It beats the hell out of paying 75.00..

    Thanks
    Neil

    ------------------

  4. #4
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Hi, Jocko!

    When I had my Scoopic, I simply added a two connector jack in the base (blew off the internal light meter) and used a standard 12 volt lantern battery from Radio Shack ($10). It will last for-EV-er and you can just sling it over your shoulder with a camera strap.

    My two cents...


    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  5. #5
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Yeah, Rogers way is certainly cheaper.
    However, I really wanted to use the internal meter, and also, wanted to continue to use the internal battery setup, so I wouldn't have to deal with an umbilical cord of any kind.
    I should warn you though, those 10 rechargeable batteries aren't cheap! (But at least they're rechargeable).

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Matt Pacini (edited November 07, 2001).]

  6. #6
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks Guys,
    I would re-cell my s-12 batteries myself..but the plastic cases are falling apart from the batteries leaking over the years..if I could just find that 4 prong XLR/DIN type connector.there
    are plenty of 12V batteries avalible..du-all camera in new york has replacment cells..and I think they repair scoopic's also..I went with matt's set-up but just used push on spade connecters instead of soldering to the scoopics connectors.

    Thanks again for the idea's

    Neil

    ------------------

  7. #7
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jocko:
    if I could just find that 4 prong XLR/DIN type connector.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi, Neil!

    That's a standard power plug for video equipment. Try a broadcast supply house or call a broadcast repair shop that handles pro video cameras like Betacams, etc. They should have a drawer full of them. Not cheap. Down here they're about $18.00 per plug/socket



    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  8. #8
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks Roger!
    My local electronics place told me he could order one for me...$38.79+8.99 shipping..I said naw,I'll find one on the web..thanks again!

    Neil

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •